What is Plotter?
Plotter is a GTK+ mathematical graph plotting application. It is
written entirely in Python, an object orientated
interpreted programming language, using the PyGtk bindings and the ROX-Lib library.
Features of Plotter include:
- Plotting of Cartesian, parametric and polar equations.
- Unlimited number of plots in individual colours.
- Graph zooming and panning.
- Drag-and-drop loading and saving of sets of graphs.
- Extensible - new functions can easily be added by writing Python code.
Plotter-0.1.0 displaying plots of polar, cartesian and parametric
Plotter-0.2.0 showing off its new user interface
Plotter comes with comprehensive documentation in HTML format, which
is also available online.
Plotter is available for free download, under the terms of the GNU
General Public License agreement.
To use Plotter, you need some additional software packages:
- plotter-0.2.1 (Sept 2001)
- Application Directory tarball: plotter-0.2.1.tar.gz (37 kB)
- plotter-0.2.0 (Aug 2001)
- Application Directory tarball: plotter-0.2.0.tar.gz (55 kB)
- plotter-0.1.0 (May 2000)
- Sources and Documentation tarball: plotter-0.1.0.tar.gz (46 kB)
Plotter has been designed to work well with the ROX-Filer filing manager. This is
a simple and easy to use RISC-OS like graphical file manager for X11, and is also
available from rox.sourceforge.net.
ROX-Filer is not essential to use Plotter.
- Python 1.5.1 or later
As Plotter is written in Python, you must first have Python installed.
Source and binary versions for many systems are available from
www.python.org. This version of Plotter
requires Python 1.5.1 or later.
- PyGtk 0.6.3 or later and GTK+ 1.2.1 or later
Plotter also requires PyGtk 0.6.3 or later. This is available by
ftp. PyGtk is set of Python bindings
to the GTK+ widget library. This means that you also need GTK+ 1.2.1 or
later installed (available from www.gtk.org).
- ROX-Lib 0.1.3 or later: Starting from version
0.2.0, Plotter also uses the ROX-Lib library available here.
plotter-0.2.1 (September 2001)
plotter-0.2.0 (August 2001)
- Fixes bugs that show up when using Python 2.0 or later
- Documentation revised
plotter-0.1.0 (May 2000)
- ROX-Lib provides drag-and-drop user interface
- File format changed to true Python scripts
plotter 0.0.5 (not released)
- First public release, under the GNU General Public License.
plotter-0.0.1 to 0.0.4 (not released)
- Added documentation in HTML format.
- Added axes options dialog boxes.
- Completed basic functionality.
- Early developmental versions of Plotter.
- Basic functionality implemented.
Please send feedback to James
Updated August 2001
Back to Homepage